Saturday, July 25, 2015

Lest We Forget...

My Lady Joy and I were at a charity craft fair recently, and I was set up to give Tarot readings.  I donated a reading to the raffle that was helping to raise money for the charity, and I was hoping that the day would keep me busy.  I was not prepared for the reactions I got from several people who asked about readings.

I have been working with the Tarot for about  5 years, and I have incorporated Tarot into many aspects of my life.  I have apps on my tablet and phone that show me a card of the day, I draw a card each morning to see what I could be facing at work, and I have a friends on social media that share a  lot of their Tarot experiences throughout the day.  That exposure has given me a rather skewed view of the way people see the Tarot.

I usually ask if the seeker has ever had a reading before, and approach the reading based on their response. Most people have had a reading or know someone who has, and they are at least familiar with Tarot.  At this fair I had people asking me about the Tarot because they knew nothing about it other than it had something to do with cards and 'fortune tellling'.  Once I got over the initial shock of that, I willingly explained the concept and showed the cards to them.

I tend to forget that people are not always familiar with the same things that I am. As a computer programmer by day I understand that people don't always understand what I actually do, but they have at least a basic knowledge of computers and what they do. When it comes to Tarot and other less-than-mainstream pursuits, I have to remember that not everyone is even aware of their existence. I have to keep that in mind or I will continue  to be surprised.

Just because we have an interest in Tarot doesn't mean that people we meet will know what we consider to be common knowledge.  We need to remember that we were once just as unfamiliar with the cards and how they can be used.  And we need to remember how we were given the chance to learn about the Tarot, and do what we can to clear up any misconceptions and help someone get a taste of the wonders that we use in our lives every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment